Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Ravens and Road Trips


Since the last time I have wrote I have attended a TAFA conference in D.C. (Take Action For the Animals) Andrew and I have travelled to Ocean City where we swam in the Atlantic Ocean, drove to Baltimore Maryland for a Lions vs. Ravens pre-season football game, and most recently- drove to and from Michigan just this last weekend for a friends wedding. There has been a lot of travelling around and seeing even more of the new area we call home. I’d have to say that the waves at the Atlantic Ocean were amazing and powerful and the carnival rides on the boardwalk make for one of the most romantic days you’ve ever had. The TAFA conference was very informative and inspiring- reassuring us animal advocates that we can make a difference and create a voice for the animals we love so very much.

Andrew and I at wedding in Devos Center, downtown MI
Andrew and I travelled to Michigan for his best friends wedding where he was requested in attendance as best man. He looked so unbelievable in a tuxedo and my dress was so tight I actually passed on dessert. We were asked repeatedly when our wedding would be; I guess that’s what happens when your dating and mid 20’s.  It was so great to be in Michigan again, especially in the beautiful summer weather that never seems to hang around long enough. I was able to reconnect with so many great friends and family, some of which I haven’t seen in years. Being out in Lake Michigan again was such a treat- we don’t always realize how lucky we are or were to have freshwater clean, swimmable lakes so close to our home.


It’s been nice to have time off to myself and to relax with friends and family, I am however, ready to get back to work with observations and waiting tables. It has been a long time without the zoo and I am ready to see all of the Great Apes bright and early tomorrow morning. My internship is still going great, I’m now a little more than halfway through my time commitment here and Andrew and I realize that before we know it we will be moving back to Michigan, we will be moving in with his Dad for however long we are in Michigan, we will be arriving back in Michigan from Thanksgiving on (Thanks to Liza, Dad, and Diane all flying in for Thanksgiving; I have changed my plans to come back as well!)

Something new that I’ve done at the Zoo is hand feeding the gorillas or orangutans. So far I have hand fed two sub adult male gorillas, one silverback gorilla, and one subadult organgutan male.  I just stand there and give them handfulls of vegatables or biscuts through the metal mesh which they take from my hand- making sure to not stick any fingers through the bars and rolling my sleeves up. I always get asked “Do you get to go in there with them” the answer is always the same, NO. I, nor should any other sane person, have any desire to be within grabbing distance of a wild dangerous great ape. We are actually required to stand 4 feet away from the cage at all times due to the fact that apes are sneaky, and will always get you when you least expect it.

After visiting Michigan I’ve realized that the end of this internship is not something to necessarily dread (although it will be  very sad). As much as I love being at the zoo, Michigan is my home and an absolutely fabulous place to live. I cannot say that I have much more time left in Michigan for that matter as Andrew and I are staying temporariliy; until our departure for a year abroad in South Korea. Therefore I will take advantage of everyday back; I’m looking forward to getting my time’s worth out of Michigan.

No comments:

Post a Comment