Thursday, May 24, 2012

Subways and Silverbacks

        
          The first week of my great ape internship has commenced! After figuring out a very intimidating bus/metro subway route I finally feel confident in and much appreciative of the public transportation that gets me to and from my internship in D.C.. I still have a never ending list of things to learn and become acquainted with but I have packed so much information into my skull this week its incredible. After getting my ID picture taken, finger prints scanned and filling out mounds of paperwork I was put on as a keepers aide with the Gorillas for the next two days. I spent my time with the gorillas behind the scenes, cleaning their enclosures, preparing their enrichment, chopping up browse (bamboo, sycamore etc;), and laying out their breakfast and dinner.
          Although I am now trained to assist the keepers when they need some extra help, it is rumored that between the R & R research (regurgitation & reingestation), data entry, and O-line monitoring I will have no time for extra duties. The Orangutan Transport System, or O Line, consists of eight 50-foot-high towers connected by plastic-coated, steel cables which gives the Orangs freedom of movement and choice of where they would prefer to spend their time at the zoo.
         My favorite part of each day was spent observing the gorillas with my fellow researchers in the afternoon. I assumed that my time spent studying the gorillas names and faces before the internship would put me ahead of the game when it came to identification, howver it can be quite difficult to tell Mandara from Kigali or Kojo from Kwame when all you have is a large black back or slightly reddish back to look at. Regardless I am feeling more confident with each day spent with the gorillas that I will not only be able to pick out the individuals but I will be able to accurately record all instances of R & R even when all that is seen as an awkward movement of the head and chewing.
       Next week I am getting started with Orangutan husbandry, at the end of the week I will get my feet wet with observations with the gorillas for 90 minute sessions. At the end of my sessions I will compare notes with my fellow intern and if all data aligns I will be starting full time with observations the following week. I am thankful to spend this introductory time getting to know the animals, their personalities and their schedules but I am so eager to begin research!
      Another blessing has been the amazing personalities that I get to work with, the conversations that we have during lunch time make me feel like I've been plucked out of reality and into a parallel universe where all that we talk about is on the topic of conservation, wildlife, or primate behavior. I have without question found my niche at the Smithsonian Zoo and I hold nothing but the utmost excitement for my future weeks spent with some very worthwhile human and nonhuman primates :)



Here is the groups largest 375 lb silverback gorilla named Baraka (which means blessing of light).     Baraka was born at the Zoo in April 1992. Despite his laid-back personality, still commands respect from all of his groupmates and maintains a good balance of keeping the gorillas in line. His large head has a pronounced crest, and like all adult males he has a saddle of silver hair covering his back. Baraka is often centrally located in the group, and likes to maintain a position where he can see and keep tabs on all of the other gorillas.

No comments:

Post a Comment